Tuesday, November 14, 2006

First post

This is my first post, so here goes... I got turned on to the web site by a person on another forum. It looked like fun so I think I will try it. Pretty myopic to think that others would care to read about me but gotta get out of the stone age sometime. Right now I am in Laredo, Texas waiting to go to work. I'm an engineer for the railroad and while it pays well it is a demanding lifestyle. While subject to call the phone can ring at any time then it is time to go to work.
I was diagnosed with type II diabetes and was told to lose weight and start taking pills. I've lost about 40 lbs in the last 3 months (I'm down to 220) and have about 10 solid lbs to go. I needed something to help keep the weight off and discovered a brazilian jiu-jitsu academy close to where I live. I had always had an interest in grappling so decided to try it. I LOVE it. At 38 I'm starting to doubt if I can still do athletic activities at a decent level. I ran track at the division I level and now that I've lost the weight and am doing something physical I am thinking of entering a bjj tournament. I've been doing this for two and a half months but want to see where I am at. There won't be that many if at all in my division so I like my chances, but with work I only make money when I work so if I have to take a lot of time off I won't do it.
I train at powerteam bjj (www.powerteambjj.com) in San Antonio under Sergio Correa, a three stripe black belt. I go in the mornings usually because the students are closer to my age and are not as aggressive, and one of my kids is in school so I don't miss any time with him. I might start fitting in a few night classes just to roll with younger guys.
Gonna post to see what it looks like.

2 comments:

Andreh Anderson said...

Congratulations on the weight loss and finding a sport you are passionate about again!!!

Good luck, man! I look forward to your posts!

Wm Blaker, printer said...

Weight loss. One of the secret benefits of BJJ. Makes up for the continuing, albeit minor, injuries.

("Minor" being a matter of perspective...I've taken injuries in stride that would have just plain freaked me out before.)